Ryan Perez (Oceanside, Ca. 1982) is a Filipino-Mexican-American artist who works primarily with photography. Perez engages the photograph as a flattened spacetime reference frame to reconcile existential questions and personal hangups (illogical obsessive curiosity located in dense situations of light and form). Perez’s work has been exhibited at sites including the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; The UC Riverside Sweeney Art Gallery; The California Museum of Photography, UC Riverside, Ca; Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico; C24 Gallery, NY, NY; Steve Turner Gallery, Los Angeles; Samuel Freeman Gallery, Los Angeles; The Fulcrum Press, Los Angeles, Control Room, Los Angeles, and The Brand Library Art Gallery, Glendale, CA.
Perez's studio is in Monrovia, Ca, and he teaches at ArtCenter College of Design.
2012 – University of California Riverside
Master of Fine Art — Visual Arts
2008 – Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California
Bachelor of Fine Art — Fine Art Photography
2015 – Bad Faith, Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico
2014 – Altered States, C24 Gallery, New York, NY, USA
2013 – Art Los Angeles Contemporary , w/ Yautepec Gallery, Santa-Monica, Ca
2012 – Don't Say Goodnight, Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico
2012 —The Arrival, LACMA Special Projects, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, Ca
2012 — UC Riverside Thesis Show, Sweeney Art Gallery, Riverside, Ca.
-Perris, Fulcrum Press & Tyler Park Presents, Los Angeles, Ca
-Friendzone, Southwestern College Art Gallery, Chula Vista, Ca
– In the Sunshine of Neglect, Curated by Douglas McCulloh, California Museum of Photography, Riverside, Ca
– Vision Valley, Curated by The Pit Gallery for the Brand Library, Glendale, Ca
– All the Small Things, Steve Turner Contemporary;
-Material Art Fair w/Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico;
-Far Bazaar, Cerritos College, Cerritos, Ca.
– Material Art Fair w/Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico;
-Critical Distance, Art Center Center College of Design Alumni Show, Pasadena, Ca
-Dream Art Fair Miami w/Yautepec Gallery Mexico City, Mexico.
– Second Wave: Aesthetics of the ʻ80s in Today's Contemporary Art, UCR Sweeny Art Gallery, Riverside, CA, USA
-Gray Grey, Vacancy, Los Angeles, CA,
– INPUT/OUTPUT, FotoFocus Biennial, DAAP Galleries, Cincinnati, OH, USA
-Apollo TBD, Samuel Freeman Gallery, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Art Los Angeles Contemporary , w/Yautepec, Los Angeles, CA
– Insider Sports , Control Room, Los Angeles, CA, USA
-NADA Miami Beach, w/Yautepec, Miami Beach, FL, USA
-Art-O-Rama , w/Yautepec, Friche la Belle de Mai, Marseille, France
– a car a man a maraca , Cal State Long Beach, Long Beach, Ca
-Dualities, Arts Brooksfield Bank of America, Los Angeles, Ca
-BOOM, Southern California MFA Group Exhibition, West Hollywood, Ca
-Immaterial Ergonomics , Space4art, San Diego, Ca
-Art Los Angeles Contemporary, Yautepec Gallery, Santa Monica, Ca.
– L.A. Print: Edition 2, Pepin Moore/Presented by LACMA, Los Angeles, Ca;
-Co/Lab with Control Room, Art Platform Los Angeles, Presented by Artra Curatorial, Los Angeles, Ca
-Centerfold, Freak City, Hollywood, Ca
-Slam Socks, Peoples Gallery, San Francisco, Ca
-Other People's Parties, Riverside Art Museum, Riverside, Ca
-Seven Minutes in Heaven, Control Room, Los Angeles, Ca